The first month of 2021 is about to end, and Xiaomi has come up with the new “MI Air Charge Technology“. Xiaomi has introduced the new MI Air Charger, which is a wireless charging system that can charge multiple devices within a radius of few meters. The company claims that it is capable to charge devices within the same room. Mi Air Charger can also charge smartwatches, fitness bracelets too, isn’t it cool?
We’re excited to bring you the remote charging technology – Mi Air Charge Technology! Charge multiple devices simultaneously while you’re gaming, walking around or even when something’s in the way, no strings attached. Another giant leap forward in wireless charging technology! pic.twitter.com/wEoB10wOQ2
— Xiaomi (@Xiaomi) January 29, 2021
This is just the beginning and a whole new concept of truly wireless, in fact, air charging, so the current charging speed is 5W which isn’t that much fast. But think you don’t have to sit at a place or near to a charging point, you can simply move around while charging. Xiaomi also confirms that the obstacles between the air charger and the smartphone don’t affect the charging or its speed in any way.
Also, it is just an announcement by Xiaomi, and no release date is offered for the Mi Air Charger. It is not confirmed that its technology would make it out to the market. But one thing we know that whenever it is coming, it is gonna be expensive. It’s interesting to see innovations like this and we’re excited for the future of wireless charging technology.
Here’s how Mi Air Charge Technology works, in Xiaomi’s words:
“The core technology of Xiaomi’s remote charging lies in space positioning and energy transmission. Xiaomi’s self-developed isolated charging pile has five phase interference antennas built-in, which can accurately detect the location of the smartphone. A phase control array composed of 144 antennas transmits millimeter-wide waves directly to the phone through beamforming.
On the smartphone side, Xiaomi has also developed a miniaturized antenna array with a built-in “beacon antenna” and “receiving antenna array”. Beacon antenna broadcasts position information with low power consumption. The receiving antenna array composed of 14 antennas converts the millimeter-wave signal emitted by the charging pile into electric energy through the rectifier circuit, to turn the sci-fi charging experience into reality.”
The Truth about Air Charge
Here are some fact you must know about the Air Charge Technology –
- Air Charge might not be capable to charge your device. It is not compulsory your device meets the requirement of the air charger.
- Your device need beacon anteenas and 14 other antennae to convert air charge to battery juice, which many devices lack.
- The power consumption is high than regular charger, that means the input is comparatively high than the output power.
- Air charging is hard. In 2017, the company named The MotherBox was also working on it but they failed.
- As the waves to charge the phone has to pass through the glass and plastic body which are not good conducting material so it might affect the charging speed and efficiency. No proof just a guess!
- The cable charger has the capability to charge up to 120W and here this air charger has just 5W output, so you are likely to have wait much.
- A research has also proved that the wireless charging affects the battery life of a smartphone whereas the cable charging doesn’t.
- Pricing might be heavy for this range, you might opt to use cable charging as it would be more fast and affordable.
So here is everything you should know about the MI Air Charger, It is a cool innovation and totally a huge step towards revolution. We hope it gets better and better with time and available at a budget friendly pricing. Let’s see how Xiaomi achieve this Air Charging technology and open a new domain in this charging market.